Monday, July 16, 2007

I need a weekend to recover from my weekend!

So the weekend is supposed to be relaxing, right? A break from the workweek? Ummm, yeah, no. Not that it wasn't fun, it totally was. But today I'm exhausted!

Friday night found us at the RFL. Well, actually, first it found us at Julie's house for cocktails and pizza BEFORE the relay for life. Is it wrong? Wrong that we had cocktails prior to walking the track? I don't think so. We made it over there around 9:30, and the kids were excited to walk/run the track for the cause. Hooray! And then they weren't excited. The little ones had to go home and go to bed...the big ones were looking for entertainment. At least they had activities for the kids - playing football, baseball, dodgeball, kickball, all of the balls were represented. Wait. That doesn't sound right. Moving on. I walked and walked and walked ... the kids played and played and played. I took them back to Julie's around 12:30 hot and sweaty and ready for rest. They stayed up until 2:30, and that's when Julie and I lost Ruby. Her dog.

Whoops.

It was innocent enough...Ruby wanted to run a little before going to bed. Seems reasonable. Except she ran away. Far away. We don't know where she went, actually. No Ruby. So there we are, at 3am, looking for a dog in the dark, shaking a container of biscuits. I called the Jimmer, who was at the relay just a block away to see if Ruby was walking the track for the cause. His first response "She's not here, did you shake the biscuits?" OMG. Yes...we shook the biscuits. Finally she came home and Julie and I went back to walk the track until about 4am. Long night.

H had a t-ball game at 10am. This is a very early game when you've not gone to sleep until 4. When your old. Like me....the evening's events and my presence were a little too much for a little 3-year-old - because he wanted NOTHING to do with t-ball. nothing. He wouldn't go out onto the field...and when he went into the dugout? He asked his coach if he could lay down on the bench. He hit the ball, which was great, but by the time he got to 3rd he was a hot mess and left the field. Inning number two? Owen had to go out onto the field with him, and even that wasn't enough to keep him out there. He hit the ball again in the second inning, but this time he was done after 1st base. Whoops. I guess a late night and our presence is not a good combination for t-ball.

Went to DQ and the European Market after the game, though I'm not sure what makes it European. It looks like every other farmer's market I've been to, fresh produce, plants, baked goods, artwork, jewelry...and...wait for it...CHEESE. Oh yeah, babies...my personal favorite. Of course I had to buy some.

Then we had my niece's birthday party in the afternoon, and then I went to see Darren, Jon and Laura play for a little while in Valpo. Love seeing them! They took a break not long after I got there so I got to visit with my friends in addition to hearing them play. I didn't get home until after 12. I got to sleep in on Sunday, but I was wiped! Yesterday found me getting all sorts of things accomplished: laundry, running kids to birthday parties, laundry, food prep (yes, Tigger, I browned my ground beef for the freezer!) I also made a big salad for the frig, and grilled some chicken for it...we're having that for dinner tonight! I hard-boiled eggs for said salad and for breakfast if anyone wants one. I boiled some chicken for the chicken and noodles recipe I plan to make this week (thanks to the tigger!) AND I used the BBQ sauce that Tigger gave me on some pork chops last night for dinner. Yummy-friggin-yummy! I highly, HIGHLY recommend the Winking Lizard BBQ sauce. Then I was outside weeding some of my gardens...not finished, but after 2.5 hours of it, I was spent.

And after all this, I still have a clean kitchen, an empty laundry room, my bed MADE (HA, Eileen) and a refrigerator/freezer full of stuff that I can make for dinners - most of which won't take me very long. Hooray!

And this, this is why I'm spent. Exhausted. Done. How was your weekend?
*New Eileen blog if you click on the link on the side!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way! Winking Lizard in Peninsula, Ohio, was an old haunt of ours before we headed to Oregon. Cue "It's a small world."

Rebecca said...

OMG - YES WAY!!! That BBQ sauce is to die for. Tigger has relatives out there who turned her onto it. Love it like I would marry it. Cannot believe that you used to go there!

Well...now you know you can order the sauce online if you're ever homesick. I'm ordering some!

Anonymous said...

I so wanted to stop by the RFL after work on Friday, but, I was dead, dead I say, yes dead, so I went home and slept (somewhat) only to get up Saturday dead, dead I say, yes dead, so I only worked two hours before coming home and sleeping for 3, then I felt better. Saw a movie on Sunday with friends, had lunch, lounged in the pool, then went home. Woke up today dead, dead I say, yes dead.

Rap C, I hate that you are so organized, hate it, and worse yet you have food in the fridge, being that I am dead and have no food in the fridge, I am going to starve, so now I am dead and starving

Rebecca said...

Pea - we posted at the same time!! Eek!

And don't worry, sugar - you know it's a phase. I'll be little old unorganized me before too long.

Anonymous said...

Jinks, you can't talk until I say

Anonymous said...

OMG- you had me laughing reliving the runaway Ruby story. Especially when you called Jim and he asked, "...did you shake the biscuits?"

Laughing. See guys, I was shaking those biscuits so loud Rebecca thought the police where going to stop by... and she didn't want me to talk to the police with my birthday beer breath. Well, maybe it wasn't me shaking the biscuits, maybe it was me yelling, "RUBY!"

Damn dog.

I got a killer nap in on Saturday... almost 3 hours. Yeah!

Rebecca you are too flipping cool getting all that stuff ready for the week. Why don't you email me an itemized list of what do this this weekend to be like you... you could post weekly dinner schedules for us. Help us all get our acts together.

Eileen- read your blog about the little angel that sent you back to the gym. Too funny. If it happens again just start crying really loud sobs and scream at the girl, "NOOOOO!" Maybe that will get her to stop asking people if they are going to have a baby!
Afterall, it takes a village...

Eileen B. said...

Tigger - who are you related to that introduced you to the Winking Lizard? It may be possible that I know them, making this whole story come beautifully full circle.

Julie - the little girl that asked me if I was preggers is a little brat but I left that out of the story since it's a local paper and her mom, grandma, dad, etc. was reading. :)

Rebecca said...

Whoa there, Julia - let's let me get through the first week before we make me the poster child for meal organization.

Today, at the request of my youngest son, is tacos. For which I'm already almost prepared. Hooray! And tonight, after I do the load of whites there will be no dirty laundry in my laundry room. And my bed is made. So there, Eileen.

RUBY!!!

Eileen B. said...

Grrrr.

Anonymous said...

Eileen...I actually am from Ohio. I have relatives and friends all over the damn state. And the story w/ the bbq sauce isn't that glamorous. My cousin's husband works for their distribution center and gets bottles of it from there.

Rebecca said...

Eileen, are you growling at me?? Isn't your birthday coming? Is it today???

Eileen B. said...

It was June 26th. That's what the 80s party was for...did you get those pictures?

Anonymous said...

I'm happy to "REPORT" (just for you Julie) that the RFL of Duneland raised a little more than $30,000. While we were short of our goal, this is still 2X than what was raised last year and not bad for the second time.

It still reminds me of Ferris Beuller when Julie yells for her Dog. Ruby, errr...("Rooney, errr" Cameron on the phone posing as Simone's Father.)

It really should be called the Relay for Beer to fund a cure for cancer...Everyone was drinking...

Anonymous said...

For the record, I did not drink at the Relay. I might of had a little on my deck and come back to the Relay.


love the relay being in my back yard.

Anonymous said...

I don't buy "a little bit on my deck." You were buzzed when you chewed Miles out...

Rebecca said...

OH YEAH she was - she totally was - that was friggin' hilarious.

She's feisty - she just hung up on me.