Thursday, July 12, 2007

What a difference a day makes...

Well, I got some stuff done last night, so I'm not feeling quite so overwhelmed...though I have a long, loooooong way to go.

The good:
Grocery shopping...HOORAY! While my pantry is overflowing, I didn't really have anything to make actual MEALS. This is a problem. I got all the basics and then some - the produce alone was worth the trip. So many things are in season now. I managed to make both egg salad and fruit salad and got all my produce cleaned and ready for use. Tonight I have to get all my meats ready. There's something very satisfying about browning all of my ground meat and freezing it in 1 lb bags so all I have to do is defrost it and I'm ready to make a wide variety of things.

My bathroom is clean! Seriously, it looked like vagabonds had moved in and claimed the space. My husband's bathroom as well...yay sparkling sinks!

My bedroom is vacuumed and dusted AND the sheets changed...crawling into a freshly made bed is the best.feeling.ever. AND I made the bed this morning before I left. I hope this becomes a habit, but we'll see.

My microwave and stove top are no longer embarrassing. Sweet.

My living room is vacuumed and dusted...while it doesn't get much use, it collects dust like nobody's business.

The bad:
The weeds are still a dominant force. Sunday. This is for Sunday.
My closets - well - let's just say I don't even know what's IN half of them. I will take these on one at a time. Hallway, foyer and my bathroom.
The office. Heaven help me it is the catch all for everything. EVERYTHING. It has to stop.
The stack of crap.

I'm giving myself a deadline. All of these things MUST be done before fabulous beach vacation. Because after that we're into football and then school and then the insanity begins again. Think good thoughts for me.

13 comments:

Eileen B. said...

If you start making your bed daily I may need to stop reading this blog. Please don't make me start!!!!!

Rebecca said...

You have no idea what a disaster my husband can make of our bed! I don't know what he does when he sleeps...but after a few days, if I haven't made the bed (a common occurrence) the sheet is half shoved down behind the footboard, the comforter is diagonal across the bed...and I always go to bed after him...so by the time I get there - I have no covers. Ridiculous!

I promise this is no indication of over-organization...

Carol said...

I can't believe you accomplished so much in one night. Just don't set unrealistic goals for yourself. Remember there's always tomorrow.

We need to reserve enough energy to relax on fabulous beach vacation.

Carol said...

You know browning ground meat then freezing it is brilliant....

Rebecca said...

I started this a couple of months ago, because my grocery sells it in bulk, and that's what they put on sale most often. So I'll buy 5 pounds, separate it in to 1 or 2 pound increments, and then brown them.

As I do each one I drain the fat, ( I have an old plastic colander that I put over a bowl) put it on a paper towel to cool (and get the rest of the grease) and then baggie them up in freezer bags. It really, really has come in handy for nights when I might be struggling with time - I can do a quick spaghetti, tacos, mostaccioli, sloppy joes, chili. It doesn't take very long, either. I can usually do it while I'm cooking something else.

And don't you worry - I'll have PLENTY of energy to relax and make you mimosas on our fabulous beach vacation!

Anonymous said...

This is interesting conversation...

I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul...

Anonymous said...

Jim, you know where you get your attitude? From ME!! Weeds and stuff are growing like crazy, closets - ha! But I've read 10 books and can't wait for Harry Potter! Only have till August 17th!

Anonymous said...

Oh, but I do make the bed every day. No matter the rest of the mess, room still can pass the leave the door open test.

Eileen B. said...

Sorry - out to lunch and a meeting so I'm going back to the original posting. My husband sees your husband's disheveled bed and raises him a sheet pull out. THat's when I was the sheets, remake the bed and the FIRST NIGHT he gets in bed and immediately yanks the tucked sheets from the bottom of the bed!

Seriously.

Of course the poor guy has circus freak legs (38" inseam!) but still.

Anonymous said...

OMG my house is so messy and dusty that last night I slept with the windows shut (Big R is out of town and the killers will come in the window) and the air conditioner off and woke up at 3 am unable to breath...boo dust, yeah beer

Anonymous said...

O.k. so I started cleaning at 9pm and kept up until 10 pm wherein I FINALLY go to sit down and watch my movie...and, and, I was able to breath last night...

Rebecca said...

Eileen - 38" inseam? Seriously????

Anonymous said...

Ser-i-ous-ly

He could be a carny.