Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Tuesday is the BEST day ever...

Hi lovely bloggers! Miss me? Do ya? Do ya? Well, we're having beautiful weather here in sunny Michigan. Lots of great beach time. Unfortunately, I forgot to reapply my sunscreen, and well...I fried like a popcorn shrimp. Tops of my thighs are bright red like a fire truck...insert whatever insane comment you want here. And my cleavage...well lets just say that the sisters are beacons like never before. Whoops. Not so much with the hurting...just pissing me off because it's so.damn.hot.

Today was the best day ever. Why? Because we went to the wineries this afternoon, that's why. 4 wineries in 2.5 hours. Brilliant. I love SW Michigan. You know what sucks, though? SW MI couldn't produce a decent red wine if I gave them the grapes. That I grew in California. Because SW MI has no business trying to produce a red. I learned this last year, and then forgot it until we went to 4 wineries today and I tried red after red and wondered why I bothered. Didn't stop me from buying a case and a half of delectable little whites which is WELL worth the trip. mmmmmmmmm...MI whites.

Me, Kev-head, Carol and Rich piled into the car and took off. First stop, Contessa. We know we love Contessa. The owner was serving up the tasting today and he was quite fun to talk to. He set the bar high for personality and good conversation. We talked about wine, cheese, crackers, Harleys, , beers, other wineries in the area, vacation spots...you name it...we talked about it. Super nice guy.

Next stop, Lemon Creek. Not so impressive, but I did try my first ice wine there. I've always wondered how they tasted, but at $25-$75 per bottle, I'm not about to experiment. It's very very sweet....more like an after dinner liqueur than a wine, but still very good. I can't say that I would ever buy a bottle, but it was fun to try. If you can't get past the smell of the place, which is straight up manure as it's also a farm, the Kerner was very good and that's what we all bought.

Off to Tabor Hill...or Snob Hill as we're now calling it. Compared to the warm reception we received at Contessa, this place was more like a morgue. Bitchy lady at reception desk...we're milling about and Kev-head casually says..."oh, they have a restaurant, we should eat here sometime." Restaurant's closed on Tuesday barks ms. personality plus...well THAT turned Kev-head in a second. And Mr. chee-chee-fou-fou serving up the tasting...seriously. Back your shit up. We're not dancing on the bar for crap's sake...we're laughing and having conversation. And then he didn't give us our change. Fuckstick.

Last but definitely not least was Round Barn. I didn't think I would like them because at a tasting last year they didn't impress me. Glad I went! First off - they also brew their own beer, so Kev-head got to enjoy a nice fresh beer while Rich and I sampled their fare. It cost $5 per couple to taste BUT you got to keep you glass AND you can go taste for free at their sister winery. Considering we were tipping $5 at each of the others, this was a total steal. Again, the reds sucked, but the girl behind the counter was nice and knowledgeable and the whites really were impressive.

I bought wine everywhere we went...and some sparkly for mimosas in the morning. That's it for now...remind me to tell you about the Gavin/Owen project...it's very fun.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sunburn, glad you're having a great time.

Had a lovely South American Malbec with dinner this evening. Wished you were here to share it with me. (Don't worry, with the A/C cranked down, it's cool enough for a red.)

Looking forward to more tales from the MI road.

Anonymous said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Wine!
I'm so glad you guys had a blast on the wine road. How wonderful!
Snob Hill, love the nickname... never been... Everytime we drive by the round barn I want to go...it's just so cute looking!
I think they have a stomp in the later fall....
What's the Owen-Gavin project?

Keep having fun!

On a different note, I've started to get organized. I got thru the fu*king mail stack lastnight and paid Aug bill ... before AUG! HAH!
You're such an inspiration!

Anonymous said...

Ouch, the burn can match up well with your waxing, how's that going by the by?? I'm still in my swing crying, only leaving to check the blog, won't work until you are back safe and sound, burn or no burn

Rebecca said...

Pea - the waxing healed up nicely, actually...no worries. And the burn is fading with some aloe vera. Stayed out of the sun yesterday, but today I loaded up on spf 30 and was back in the game. I'm showing some good color now, though the sisters are still beacons....can't win them all.

don't cry, little pea...I will be home soon.

colleen...luckily we brought our own reds...the Malbec sounds heavenly. I would gladly share!

Julia - the round barn is fantastic. You MUST go. Chris would like it, too.

More wineries tomorrow with some work associates of kev-heads...good times to come...