Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Organization...I'm really trying...

So are you all falling over with my almost week's worth of getting my shit together?? It's unbelievable at best. As Julie would say, the forces of the universe are at work here - and they're talking to me, and they're telling me to get it together already. Take charge! Quit living in squalor!

Last week I had had it with my disorganized messy home. HAD IT. That's when I went to the store, started meal planning, cleaned all those rooms in one night and started the new me. The very next night the young Kathy told me about an Oprah show she watched about organization, clearing up the clutter. There was some get-your-shit-together expert on and she was telling me some of the details.

I started looking around my house. Remember how I posted just that morning that I needed to clean my closets?? Do you see how the forces of the universe are talking to me.? That guy...that guy I didn't even see, totally influenced me. He's right - I do hang on to too much stuff. I have things in my closets I haven't used in 5 years, let alone the last year and they are taking up space and keeping me from being able to store things I actually DO use.

This must stop.

And yes, Eileen, my bed is made. Now I'm just taunting you because it's fun. Please don't leave me! *please*

So last night I went to Target and bought some storage bins. BUT - I didn't buy them with lids - I bought the kind with DRAWERS. This is the key. I was talking to Carol about it last night. If you stack bins with lids, you have to unstack them to get to your stuff. If you have bins with pull out drawers, you can access everything without moving anything. She thinks it's brilliant. Do you see the brilliance??

I started small, only bought 3, and because I went shopping, I didn't have as much time when I got home last night. I did get that load of whites done. And I did make tacos. I did replace the nasty ass shower curtain in my husband's bathroom (that was an add-on), and I did put in one bin, successfully cleaning up the crap on the closet floor and creating a storage space for the toilet paper. The toilet paper was previously thrown in on top of the crap that was on the closet floor. Hopefully the rest of that closet gets cleared out tonight and the stuff I want to keep will start to fill those remaining 2 bins.

Wish me luck, folks, I'm going in.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath...now, you will feel so much better when this task is completed...I can smell the pine cleaner now...oh wait, that is my armpit...I am so proud of you, I wish some would rub off on me, currently, I have a pile of summer clothes that are on the office floor, because I did not switch out seasonal clothes this year due to not having an office job (hallelujah) so they are getting hung up as I wear them (gross), then I got tired of that, so I went and bought some new clothes (sucker)...Will you come over and organize me??? I want some bins with drawers

Anonymous said...

Grrrrr-rrrr!

Seriously, where are the boys and Kevin? We instituted a family cleaning time once a week, we all divvy up the duties and are generally done in about 2 hours and we did it without Oprah. You have the home beauty within or some other crap - I just know it.

Rebecca said...

Pea, I am now dreaming about the under the bed sweater containers. It will be brilliant. Lots of stuff on sale at Tar-jay - go there.

Eileen - the boys have plenty to do, believe me, the hubby keeps them hopping. I steal them sometimes - they have to clean their rooms, their bathroom, they always vacuum and dust the basement (well, now that they're on summer break they do). They do help, but cleaning closets? not so much. Organization? not so much.

Anonymous said...

OMG, I am thinking about those bags that you vacume the air out of to squish the stuff, could use that, and then put THOSE bags in bins under the bed, but Boots might not like that since he is a under the bed dweller

Anonymous said...

OMG my bathroom closet is HORRIBLE. Just HORRIBLE. There is so much shit in there it's taken on a life of it's own and started up a myspace. Check it out-
www.myspace.com/shitcloset

Seriously. I have those drawers... and can't get to them.

I have way to much stuff in the closet.
What OPRAH show? I didn't see it. Is it on demand.

I need to get organized....
Last night I went to the grocery, so that was my one task. AH!

We finally turned the air on so we're not walking around like zombies... and my dog got her energy back (i think she was really hot. see, she's got this really cool fur coat she refuses to hang in the closet. Not that closet. The front closet. Which is kinda messy too. Not nearly as bad, but shoe messy.) Weehhheww, how i digress.

Keep up the good effort BEK!

Rebecca said...

Julie - you're funny today! Friggin' myspace...hilarious. Love it like I would marry it.

We hord too much shit. You're usually good at purging - way better than I - purge, dahling, purge...no not like karen carpenter, silly...purge your clutter...

Here's a link to the Clutter Challenge

Lots of tips and ideas there...

Eileen B. said...

I love any blog that references "purge" and "Karen Carpenter." Only at Rebecca's blog :)

Rebecca said...

That's the way I roll, Eileen - that's just the way I roll.